Some think it is relatively easy to be an RPA developer and anyone can do that. They also cite a few examples. But, this can never be the mainstream approach. Like any other profession, RPA jobs also have some skill requirements. One has to improve RPA developer skills to start an RPA developer career.
Read benefits of starting a career as RPA developer to know all the RPA related career benefits
Knowing RPA developers
Robotic Process Automation is the new industry style of working. It relieves humans from the routine monotonous jobs to concentrate on creative imagination. RPA uses various software tools, called robots, to perform repetitive jobs. Banking & financial, healthcare, insurance sectors are the first to implement this and many other industries are following the suit.
Such automated functions need a human element for creating, designing, developing, and implementing the system. In the RPA landscape, he is called an RPA developer who needs to streamline the process for maximizing business efficiency.
Common RPA developer skills requirement
RPA mainly works through a controlled user interface system. RPA developer is a cross-functional job and, therefore, one must possess skills in the following functions.
- Strategic Planning: Planning is essential for any process to run efficiently. One must know how to set goals and implement that to enhance the efficiency of the process.
- Communication: Since RPA developer involves a cross-functional role, one must able to communicate freely with all concerned. Being proficient in verbal and written communication is one of the vital RPA developer skills. This will help him explain everything clearly to others.
- Analyzing & Decision making: Businesses use RPA for improving process flow and performance. This calls for analyzing and comparing various possibilities to find the best fit. RPA developers must be able to weigh everything and arrive at a decision.
- Mathematical & Logic: Mathematics, especially algorithm, and logic are the two wings of an RPA developer to glide successfully in the RPA arena. One must improve these RPA developer skills to excel in his career.
- Problem-solving and troubleshooting: A person opting for an RPA developer career must be able to resolve any problem to keep the system functioning. He must also be able to foresee potential problems and fix them before they surface.
- Unquenchable thirsts for Learning: But, RPA is a living and continuous process where things may change anytime. Only spirited learners with an unquenchable thirst for learning can succeed in this profession.
- Perseverance: Like every sphere of life and work, perseverance is essential, vital, and necessary for meeting the challenges in this profession.
RPA developer skills special needs
Other than the above common skill requirements, RPA developers need to acquire some special skills. RPA developers can work as a Process Engineer, Automation Architect, or Production Engineer. In some organizations, they work as a one-in-three employee. This is why an aspiring candidate must have the skills required for all of them.
Acquiring software Skills are vital. One must be conversant in programming languages like C++, Python, Ruby, Java, VB Script, etc. Basic knowledge of artificial intelligence and machine learning puts one in an advantageous position. Hands-on experience on RPA automation tools like Blue Prism and UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Open Span is also preferable.
It is always better to compare RPA tools before select the best to learn.
RPA developers have a great job responsibility. Their daily activities include
- Designing and building workflows
- Searching for UI elements and performing various actions on them
- Managing numerical data and database
- Processing texts
- Testing & debugging robots, and
- Managing software glitches for the seamless performance of the business process.
All of these require an in-depth knowledge of advanced technologies and regular practice. One can acquire these RPA developer skills through RPA certification courses. These certification programs help one to join the growing community of the RPA developers. There are also many industry-recognized certification courses.
These certification courses are divided into different levels for startups and for experienced. They can deliver high-value solutions to various high-impact problems across different industries.
Several organizations like Blue Prism, UiPath Academy, Open Span, Udemy RPA Certification, Multisoft Virtual Academy, Edureka RPA Training Program, The RPA Academy, and MindMajix RPA offer such courses.
They offer online and onsite classes. Their duration and fees vary based on the tools and techniques covered. Some of them also offer free trials. By doing these courses and completing training from the best providers, one learns about various RPA tools and how to apply them in real-life situations. Getting certified also helps to showcase one’s knowledge and expertise.
RPA tools are user-friendly. Any persistent man having a logical mind and motivation to accept challenges can learn and master the activities of the RPA developers with time. However, upgrading the RPA developer skills beforehand do help to a great extent to have a successful career.